ATTENTION TO HEALTH:
- In keeping with the objective of sustainable development number 3, proposed by the UN, the NGO Balanced World works to achieve an improvement in the health and well-being of the communities with which it intervenes. The basic care in this area specifies a set of interventions, to contribute to the promotion of health, prevention of disease, public health surveillance and control of risk factors for the general population of the area. The objective is the empowerment of local health agents, with the collaboration and direct connection with health professionals from more developed countries, who advise and guide health specialists in the area, promoting innovative techniques and adjusted to the needs diagnosed. For this we develop the following activities and micro-projects:
- Maternal and Child Health: Work is being done with the midwives (who are the ladies, without specialized training, who help the mothers to give birth), in order to analyze the local functioning in regard to pregnancy and to identify through them to pregnant women and newborns of the community, knowing in turn, the main problems with which they are. Through the connection of professional midwives with midwives and local midwives, we try to promote the training of these, for an adequate follow-up of home births. In addition, we offer training to guide mothers andwomen during pregnancy and up to the first year after birth, on the basic care of pregnancy and the baby.
- Educational Actions: In relation to the acquisition of healthy life habits and in terms of the prevention of the most common diseases.
- Micro-project Stop Malaria: We work against malaria, from a prevention education perspective, including methods to stop its spread in the most vulnerable areas. We use, among others, natural and sustainable techniques to avoid contact with mosquitoes that transmit the disease, based on studies carried out by agronomists who, after an analysis of the terrain, have provided recommendations on plants that, under natural conditions, help to drive away to mosquitoes from the contextsclosest to the local population. In addition, we work to provide the health services of rural communities with simple tests for malaria diagnosis and local NGOs specializedin health to manage the material and organize the diagnoses that the population requires. To contribute to prevention, families are provided with mosquito nets and specific products for children.
- Micro-project against Child Malnutrition: To ensure that no child in the community suffers severe malnutrition, we promote the formation of the population (especially mothers) about healthy eating, providing specialized information on the home-made products that recover children of the acute processes of malnutrition. This task also includes the support to the population in the creation of ecological and sustainable gardens and farms that provide the population with a varied, healthy andnutritious diet and the training of the local population in ecological and sustainable agriculture and livestock techniques. , through schools workshops. Once the tastes and preferences of the local population have been analyzed, they are working together with them in the search for different methods of preparing food suitable for child development. Given the abundance of corn in the area, one of the alternatives that is recommended is the production of a food made from ground corn and roasting with natural techniques. It is very rich in vitamins, fiber and minerals, and has a very low economic cost and also allows the preparation process (with local nuances) and its commercialization to be in the hands of the local population.
- Micro-project Dental : We act in relation to oral health from education for prevention, with the collaboration of solidarity dentists who train local professionals through a multidisciplinary work through new technologies. In addition, local toothbrushes and toothpastes are provided to the local population and educational workshops are held to promote greater awareness of the importance of dental hygiene.
- Health follow-up : In collaboration with local doctors, regular and systematic health monitoring is organized to check the health status of the child population, on a provisional basis and in support of local services. Work is being done in coordination with other local NGOs in the training of key local agents responsible for mediating between public institutions and their neighbors and helping them to process the documents that would allow them free health coverage. In this sense, it is intended to achieve greater confidence of the local population in health professionals, so that they come to them in the face of health problems, moving away little by little from rituals and traditional medicine, for the cure of diseases.
- Access to water : In the communities where we work, water is a very scarce good, especially in the dry season that runs between the months of March to October.
The local population, not only does not have access to it, but has no knowledge about the importance of drinking water over health. From the NGO Balanced World, a water purification project has been started, through the provision to families of carbon filters to purify water. In addition, training workshops are held to promote its use and to make the population aware of the importance and relationship that exists between the consumption of non-potable water and diseases. On the other hand, coordination is being carried out with the local government, so thatthey themselves can help promote the use of filters, although the distribution of the same is the responsibility of our organization.